About Me

My photo
I started this blog to share my love for photography. I enjoy the outdoors very much. Other interests are rock climbing, camping, spending time with friends, doing ministry, sports, traveling. The list could go on and on. I simply enjoy life.

Sunday, October 14, 2012

More Moose

A few days ago the principal of my school asked if David and I would be willing to go with her on Saturday to the mountains. She wanted to take 3 of our students and their parents since they had never been to the mountains before. The students were pretty young. One was in kindergarten and the other two were probably 3-6th graders (I really don't know what grade they were in). They were so excited.

Saturday came and it was debatable if we would go. The weather called for snow. We weren't sure the roads would be great and/or we would be able to see anything once we got up there. We finally decided to press on regardless. It turned out to be beautiful. The only down side was that we couldn't see any peaks like I did last week (we went to the same place as the pictures below...Long Lake).

The snow on the trees was amazing. And the moose....7 moose in total.

As we started up the trail a stranger mentioned that there was a moose on the north side of the lake (the trail followed that side). We were excited since the kids really wanted to see a moose and even prayed to see one. So we walked and then I spotted some fresh moose tracks that headed to the lake. We followed them down and saw three moose (two cows and a baby) who we apparently startled.

As they ran away they headed up to the trail. We hiked back up the trail and continued (very carefully) to see if we could see them again. Then....bam!!! The moose was in our trail probably only 60-70 feet away.
The other two moose were still in the woods. I never got a great picture of them but they weren't sure about us being there. As you can see in the picture below there is a person behind the moose. I'm sure the people were startled as they rounded the corner and found a moose standing there probably no more then 20 feet away. They eventually hiked up into the woods and came around since the moose didn't appear that it was going to move anytime soon.


 Got one picture of the baby running across the trail following his mom. Never got a picture of the other cow though.
 Then as we were heading back I spotted four more moose (near the place where we saw them last week). You have no idea how happy I was to see a bull moose with a rack. It wasn't huge but I was still happy. I think that is a first for me. You can't see them really well but there were two babies and then the mom I suppose.
Even though it was freezing out and the weather didn't allow us to see the peaks of the mountains I was still thrilled to see the moose. The kids had an awesome time as well as the parents.

Good times had by all once again!

No comments:

Post a Comment