I don't mountain bike. It does look like fun, but I am in no shape for it. I knew that during the days I would be alone while the rest of the group biked. I wasn't too worried as I have never been to Arches National Park or Canyonlands before. I would have some quality time with my camera, and was going to make the most of that time.
The day before we were suppose to head to Moab I came home to Kiki (my roommate) sitting on the couch. I wasn't feeling well and must have looked pretty bad because her first words were, "What's wrong with you? You look awful." As I walked into the living room to talk to her I noticed a bright light shining on the mantle. I stopped mid-sentence and stared at the camera. I was trying to figure out what in the world she was trying to do. I was directly in line with the camera and so I took a few steps left to get out of the way. She, of course, was cracking up at my confusion. She then went on to remind me of her non-refundable early birthday present. I told her I remember her saying that but never remember anything about it being early. She told me to come sit by her on the couch (this is when it got weird). She had a backpack on the coffee table and she was digging inside of it. Out of the corner of my eye I saw someone rising up from behind the dining room table. It was a SUPER blonde chick. I did a double take and in a split second I thought to myself, "Who the heck is that? I have never met one of Kiki's friends that look like that." Then it hit me. It was Lauren my best friend!!!!!
I was SO HAPPY. I had no idea that she was coming. Kiki is the coolest roommate ever is all I have to say.
Now I could go to Moab and enjoy the sites, and I didn't have to do it alone. Those of you who know me know I would rather be with friends than alone.
Wednesday came and we hit the road around 1:30pm. It takes about 6 hours to drive to Moab from where we live. The car was packed! The drive was great. We were cracking up pretty much the whole time.
I had to have a picture by the Utah sign. This was my first time in Utah. Another state checked off my list. Only four more to go :).
Getting closer to our destination.
After many hours we reached our campsite, met up with the others that had come out early, set up the tents, and then headed to town for some food and then retired back to our tents for some zzzz's.
Thursday morning came and everyone, except Lauren and I, were going mountain biking. Kiki was nice enough to lend me her car so that Lauren and I could do some site seeing on our own, but first the mountain bikers wanted a photo shoot. So I happily obliged. We head to the trailhead of Slickrock for the photo shoot.
Kiki flying down the hill.
The mountain bike group.
Once the photo shoot was over Lauren and I jumped in the car and headed to Arches National Park. We had a good time. I will let the pictures speak for themselves.
Balancing Rock
Lauren at North Window Arch
Turret Arch
The goal for the day was to hike to Delicate Arch. This arch is very popular and the parking lot is not large enough. We tried to find a parking spot but to no avail. The signs said that parking is strictly enforced so if nothing is available to try again at another time.
Thankfully I did get to hike to Delicate Arch. Once at 2am (had to get some star shots) and once in the daylight for the last hike before going home. The pictures will be in posts to come.
So since we couldn't find a spot to park we continued down the road to the Lower Delicate Arch Viewpoint. It was a 1/2 mile hike to get the view of the below picture.

Delicate Arch from afar.
After this short little hike, Lauren and I headed to the very back of the park and found a 4 mile hike we wanted to do.
The hike we were going to do was to several different arches. The area is called the Devil's Garden.
Landscape Arch
The terrain. Can you see the people on the trail?

Us :)

There are people down by the green shrubs.
Double O Arch
Navajo Arch
Lauren and I at Navajo Arch
This is one of my favorite arches. Partition Arch.
Once we finished our hike it was time to head back to the campsite and meet up with everyone else for some dinner. I wish I had taken some pictures of the food we ate. I think I ate better on this camping trip than I do at home.
Our group Wednesday and Thursday. The bottom left picture is everyone taking pictures of the sunset.
As the sun was setting the colors on the landscape started to change.
The day ended with a LOT of laughter around the campfire. We had some good times. The next post will be day two. Stay tuned!




















I believe I said "Are you okay?" Not you look awful!
ReplyDelete