After checking the weather, which said scattered thunderstorms, I decided to pack up my things and head on out.
Upon seeing only a few cars in the parking lot when I got to the trailhead I was excited. I didn't want to be around a bunch of people (that is why I avoided the Flatirons). I just wanted to enjoy nature.
While walking up the trail I passed a lot of little streams and tiny, tiny cascades. Here is one of them.
I was hoping to see some wildlife and I got my chance.
As I was taking pictures of the deer I notice a chipmunk running with grass in its mouth. He stood still just long enough for me to capture him.
As I continued on up the trail enjoying the scenery a sudden thunderclap came out of no where (at least to me). It gave me a good startle. I thought to myself that maybe I should turn around but I didn't entertain that thought very long.
After continuing up the trail a little more and dealing with more crashing sounds of the thunder I stopped under a tree to get a picture of the storm. If you look closely at the picture you can see the snow/rain falling.
Just after shooting the above picture a streak of lightening flashed through the sky and I thought, "where am I supposed to go? I shouldn't be under this tree nor do I want to be in the open field." With not too many options I continued up the trail. I knew the rain would be stopping very soon since edge of the storm was just above me.
I finally made it to the top after 2.6 miles. I could not get a great picture of the mountains in the background due to the tree but I could see the Indian peaks.
I didn't stay up at the top for very long as I saw another storm rolling in. As I started to head down I decided to try and see if I could get a shot while sitting on the bench. It didn't turn out too shabby.
As I continued down it did start to rain again but it didn't last too long thankfully.
Here is a picture of the trail winding through the valley.
Once I got back to my car I grabbed my hammock and took off to find some trees so that I could just relax. I wasn't ready to go back to civilization quite yet.
The hammocking experience was short lived due to ANOTHER storm making its way closer to me. I waited as long as I could before taking down the hammock and heading to the car. I really didn't want to get rained on and this storm seemed a little more intense.
All in all, it was a good hike.










Very nice way to spend the day and some great shots there Catherine!
ReplyDeleteThanks Howard. I had an enjoyable day!
DeleteGreat pictures! You must have run pretty fast for that one bench shot... :P
ReplyDeleteI did have to run. I got there with probably two seconds to spare. I did that a couple of times. Ran back up as well. I had to hurry because of the rain that was about to come.
DeleteI wish I could have gone hiking with you!
ReplyDeleteMegan that would have made my day!
Delete